filming in small teams

Please note:

Since the official language is German, you will need an experienced German speaking production manager for more complex procedures who can fill out the forms and can clarify any questions concerning the filming permits. You will find a list of production and location managers in our database.

Filming on public streets and grounds

In Berlin, the double approval requirement applies, that is, in Berlin, approval is given from a road traffic perspective and, from the owner's perspective, the special use is approved.

For small teams it is as follows:
Small journalistic film and photo teams that carry out photo or film work on public roads and squares in Berlin and Brandenburg always require a permit from the responsible district office / civil engineering department. There you apply for the so-called special use of the road land for film work. All you need to do is send an email stating the company contact details, team size, technology, date, time and place of the planned filming and ideally an excerpt from open street map in which the camera position is drawn. Depending on the district offices and the effort involved, it will be decided whether a special user fee will be charged.

Link to the application form for so called mini-teams.

Small teams do not need a filming permit from the road traffic authorities, because

Small teams consist of max. 5 people
Small teams have max. a tripod for the camera
Small teams don't hinder anyone
Small teams are only briefly (max 2 hours) at one location
Small teams have no other structures

Please note:

If public transport is impaired, filming is subject to approval from the perspective of the road traffic authorities and from the point of view of the owner. In this case, in the case of filming, a general filming permit , the road traffic regulations and the special use permit of the responsible civil engineering department of the respective district, city ​​or district are required . In the case of photographic work, the approval of the responsible civil engineering department is sufficient. In the case of green space use, the approval of the  green space office of the respective Berlin district  or location must also be obtained.
You can find more information on the filming approval process  here .

Filming or taking pictures on private property as well as in private or urban facilities


Permitting is required for filming or photographic work on private property as well as in private or urban facilities. Permits are usually the respective press or marketing departments; in the case of a private property, the owners.

In order to obtain a license, the licensees must be given the following information:

  • Contact details of the applicant,
  • a brief description of the project
  • Desired date with possible alternative dates for the implementation.

Further details are to be clarified with the license holder afterwards.

Popular tourist motifs in Berlin and Brandenburg 

The locations that draw international interest to Berlin are as numerous as they are different. The reason for this lies in the rapid historical and political changes that have shaped this city and its surrounding Brandenburg area and which are reflected above all in architecture, lifestyle, art and cultural institutions.
For filming or photo permits in "tourist" motifs, please contact the relevant press office. 

The tourist country portals of the federal states of Berlin and Brandenburg are: 

Other important tourist motivators are: 

For further tourism information, please contact the responsible tourism associations of  the respective cities and regions. 

contact: bbfc

Film location Berlin Brandenburg 2020